The optimal first server A powerful, yet whisper quiet, entry tower server ideal for retail, remote/ branch or home office, and perfect for deskside/ under-desk placement. Featuring enterprise-class storage, reliability, and serviceability support, the ThinkSystem ST50 is the ideal first server for the growing SMB or distributed work environment.
Powerful yet affordable The Lenovo ThinkSystem ST50 provides an easily manageable, ideal first server for a small-to-medium-sized business, and remote or branch office, or retail environments looking to increase productivity. A value-optimized motherboard design paired with the latest IntelÂ® XeonÂ® E-2200 processors extend a generation-to-generation 2-digit percentage performance increase and offer an aggressive price point for the ST50 versus high-end desktops, and with higher enterprise-level capabilities than a desktop alternative.
Flexible value The ThinkSystem ST50 is designed with components common across the portfolio, high reliability, and essential scale-out capabilities for growing businesses including GPU support and array of compatible storage drives. Save time and reduce costs with Intel Active Management Technology (AMT), which monitors system health and prevents data disruption, while the USB version of Lenovo's XClarity provisioning manager enables easy setup and firmware upgrades.
Environmentally friendly The compact ThinkSystem ST50 excels at being inconspicuous in an office environment thanks to its compact size and whisper-quiet operation. Energy-efficient design elements, including the Intel Xeon E CPU and TruDDR4 memory, reduces power consumption under standard workloads, providing energy cost-savings in addition to increased server uptime and workplace productivity.
Key features The ThinkSystem ST50 server is an office-friendly tower server that has been optimized to provide enterprise-class features to small businesses, retail, educational institutions and branch offices.
Scalability and performance The ST50 offers numerous features to boost performance, improve scalability, and reduce costs:
- The Intel Xeon E-2100 Series processors improves productivity by offering affordable single-socket system performance with 6-core processors with up to 3.8 GHz core speeds.
- Intelligent and adaptive system performance with Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 allows processor cores to run at maximum speeds during peak workloads by temporarily going beyond processor thermal design power (TDP).
- Intel Hyper-Threading Technology boosts performance for multithreaded applications by enabling simultaneous multithreading within each processor core, up to two threads per core.
- Intel Virtualization Technology integrates hardware-level virtualization hooks that allow operating system vendors to better use the hardware for virtualization workloads.
- Up to four 2666 MHz DDR4 ECC or non-ECC UDIMMs provide speed and capacity of up to 64 GB.
- The server offers PCI Express 3.0 I/O expansion capabilities that increase the theoretical maximum bandwidth by almost 100% (8 GTps per link using 128b/130b encoding) compared to the PCI Express 2.0 (5 GTps per link using 8b/10b encoding).
- With Intel Integrated I/O Technology, the PCI Express 3.0 controller is integrated into the Intel Xeon E-2100 Series processors. Such integration reduces I/O latency and increases overall system performance.
- Up to four non-hot-swap (NHS) drive bays supporting hard disk drives (HDDs) or solid-state drives (SSDs) provide flexible internal storage capacity.
- The use of SSDs instead of, or along with, traditional spinning drives (hard disk drives or HDDs) can significantly improve I/O performance. Availability and serviceability The ST50 provides many features to simplify serviceability and increase system uptime:
- The ST50 supports UDIMM memory with ECC protection which provides error correction not available in PC-class "servers" that use parity memory. Avoiding system crashes (and data loss) due to soft memory errors means greater system uptime.
- Tool-less cover removal provides easy access to upgrades and serviceable parts, such as memory and adapter cards.
- A choice of affordable onboard SATA RAID or advanced hardware RAID redundancy offers data protection and greater system uptime.
- The use of SSDs can provide better reliability than the use of traditional HDDs, for greater uptime.
- Built-in Active Management Technology based on Intel Active Management Technology (AMT) 12.0 which continuously monitors system parameters, sends alerts, and enables administrators to perform remote recovery actions to minimize downtime.
- The Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager Lite tool can be used to install an operating system on the server and perform system diagnostics. Manageability and security Powerful systems management features simplify local and remote management of the ST50:
- Intel Active Management Technology (AMT) 12.0 monitors server availability and enables administrators to perform remote management.
- An integrated industry-standard Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) enables improved setup, configuration, and updates, and simplifies error handling.
- An integrated hardware Trusted Platform Module (TPM) supporting TPM 2.0 and 1.2 enables advanced cryptographic functionality, such as digital signatures and remote attestation.
- Protects application code and data from disclosure or modification with Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX), enabling high-assurance security use cases, such as blockchain, identity and records privacy, secure browsing, and digital rights management (DRM).
- Administrator and power-on passwords help protect from unauthorized access to the server.
- An intrusion switch on the cover of the server and padlock loop at the rear of the server help detect and prevent unauthorized physical access to the internal components of the server .
- A slot for a Kensington-style cable lock helps prevent theft. Energy efficiency The ST50 offers the following energy-efficiency features to save energy, reduce operational costs, increase energy availability, and contribute to a green environment:
- 80 PLUS Platinum-certified power supply (select models) enables greater energy savings while providing flexibility to meet your business needs.
- Intelligent Cooling Engine (ICE) actively monitors component temperatures in real-time and optimally adjusts the speeds of the fans to keep the system cooler and quieter.
- The ThinkSystem Capacity Planner tool provides information about the power consumption and electric current calculation for the different configurations of servers and other devices, which helps plan deployment of servers and devices in an efficient way. -Intel Intelligent Power Capability powers individual processor elements on and off as needed, to reduce power draw.
Components and connectors The following figure shows the front of the server.
Figure 2. Front view of the ThinkSystem ST50 server The following figure shows the rear of the server.
Figure 3. Rear view of the ThinkSystem ST50 server The following figure shows the locations of key components inside the server.
Internal view of the ThinkSystem ST50 server Figure 4. Internal view of the ThinkSystem ST50 server System architecture The following figure shows the architectural block diagram of the ST50, showing the major components and their connections.
Figure 5. ST50 system architectural block diagram
Form factor Tower or 4U rack Processor Intel Xeon E-2246G 6 Core 3.6GHz Chipset Intel C246 chipset Memory Four DIMM sockets supporting Lenovo TruDDR4 DIMMs at 2666 MHz. Support ECC UDIMMs. For China customers, the server supports non-ECC DIMMs (ECC and non-ECC cannot be mixed). Memory maximums Up to 64 GB with 4x 16 GB UDIMMs Memory protection Error-correcting code (ECC) Disk drive bays Up to 4x 3.5-inch non-hot swap (NHS) drive bays.
Bays 1-3 only support 3.5" HDD or SSD drives; Bay 4 supports one of the following configurations:
3.5-inch non-hot-swap HDD or SSD in a 5.25-inch conversion tray Half-high optical drive (either DVD-ROM or DVD-RW) Half-high backup unit (either LTO tape or RDX drive) Combination 3.5-inch non-hot-swap HDD or SSD plus a slim optical DVD-RW
The server can be configured without any HDDs or SSDs. The server also supports 2x SD Cards installed in an optional SD Card Adapter (RAID not supported). Maximum internal storage
Using HDDs: 32 TB using 4x 8TB SATA HDDs Using SSDs: 3.84 TB using 4x 960GB SATA SSDs HDDs and SSDs can be installed in the same server but are not supported in the same RAID volume Storage controller Onboard 6 Gb SATA controller, supporting AHCI mode (non-RAID) or Intel RSTe software RAID (RAID 0, 1, 10, 5) 12 Gb RAID controller: RAID 530i (cacheless) supports RAID 0, 1, 10, 5 RAID 730-8i with 1GB cache supports RAID 0, 1, 10, 5 RAID 930-8i with 2GB flash-backed cache supports RAID 0, 1, 10, 5, 6 12 Gb Host Bus Adapter: 430-8i SAS/SATA 12Gb HBA Media drive bay One half-height 5.25-inch bay for optical or tape drive. Supports DVD-ROM or DVD-RW. Mutually exclusive with the fourth HDD/SSD. Network interfaces One integrated Gigabit Ethernet 1000BASE-T port (RJ-45) using Intel i219-LM controller. PCI Expansion slots Three PCIe slots as follows: Slot 1: PCIe 3.0 x16 full-height half-length (FHHL) Slot 2: PCIe 3.0 x1 full-height half-length (FHHL) Slot 3: PCIe 3.0 x4 (physical connector is x16) full-height half-length (FHHL) Ports Front ports Two USB ports (both are USB 3.1 G1)
Rear ports Four USB ports (two USB 3.1 G1, two USB 2.0) Two DisplayPort video ports (require a processor with integrated graphics) One RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet port One serial port One audio line-out ports (Windows 10 only; some line noise is possible) Cooling Supports ASHRAE A2 and ASHRAE B environments. Two fixed system fans. Additional fans attached to the processor, in the power supply, and in the optional media bay enclosure. Power supply One fixed power supply, either 250W or 400W power supply. 80 PLUS Platinum certified. Hot-swap parts
None Systems management Power and drive activity LEDs. Intel Active Management Technology (AMT) 12.0 server management. Supports Integrated Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager Lite (USB memory key-based) for system setup and firmware upgrades. No support for XClarity Controller (XCC). Security features Power-on password, administrator's password, Trusted Platform Module (TPM), supporting TPM 1.2 or TPM 2.0. Optional Chassis intrusion switch. Padlock loop and Kensington cable slot for physical security. Video Integrated Intel Graphics Technology (Intel GT) on most processors Two DisplayPort ports. Maximum resolution is 3840 x 2160 pixels (4K) at a refresh rate of 60Hz. On servers with a processor that does not have integrated graphics, the two DP ports are not connected and a separate GPU adapter is required. Operating systems supported Microsoft Windows Server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, VMware ESXi. See the Operating system support section for specifics. Limited warranty One-year (model dependent) customer-replaceable unit and onsite limited warranty with 9x5 next business day (NBD). Service and support Optional service upgrades are available through Lenovo Services: 4-hour or 2-hour response time, 6-hour fix time, 1-year or 2-year warranty extension, software support for Lenovo hardware and some third-party applications. Dimensions Height 375 mm (14.8 in), width: 175 mm (6.9 in), depth: 407 mm (16.0 in) Weight Minimum 7.5 kg (16.5 lb), maximum: 11.2 kg (24.7 lb)